The Henry Smith Charity is a large grant making charity. They make grants totalling approximately £25 million each year to up to 1,000 organisations and charities for initiatives and projects that address social inequality and economic disadvantage.
Through their Main Grants Programme and Small and County Grants Programmes they make grants in the following categories, and have provided some examples below of the type of work they will fund under each category:
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME)
- Community Service
- Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Drugs, Alcohol and Substance Misuse
- Ex-Service Men and Women
- Family Services
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- Older People
- Prisoners and Ex-offenders
- Prostitution and Trafficking
- Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Young People
Check the website below for more detailed information and for exclusions.
Their Main Grants Programme is for grants of £10,000 or over. There are two types of Main Grant:
- Capital Grants – One off grants for purchase or refurbishment of a building or purchase of specialist equipment.
- Revenue Grants – Grants of up to three years for things like core costs (including salaries and overheads), or the running costs of a specific project (including staffing costs).
County Grants – Grants for small organisations working in the counties with which we have an historical association, i.e., Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Kent, Leicestershire, Suffolk, Surrey, East Sussex and West Sussex. To be eligible to apply for a County Grant, your annual income must be below £250,000, unless you are working county-wide, in which case your income must be below £1 million.
Application Form: Available to download from the website. You will find information about how to make your application in the guidelines for each type of grant. Some grants require you to fill in an application form. For others there is no application form; instead they provide guidance about how to structure your application and what supporting documents you need to send.
Deadline: Applications can be submitted at any time.
Contact: The Henry Smith Charity, 6th Floor, 65 Leadenhall Street, London EC3A 2AD
Tel: 020 7264 4970
Fax: 020 7488 9097